I offer Journal Writing Groups and Journal Therapy at Wholistic Therapy and Coaching Center of the Midlands at 1703 Richland Street in downtown Columbia, South Carolina.
With more than 200 years of experience under one roof, our group also provides individual therapy, marriage, family, child & adolescent therapy, parenting & life coaching, in-home counseling for the elderly and massage therapy. For more information about the group call 803-254-5650 or click www.wholistictherapyandcoaching.com
I have a passion for learning: in a classroom and online; among friends; through travel; from books and recorded interviews; from life all around. Focusing, listening and paying attention to my on-going thoughts help me tap into my deepest knowing.
In addition to these classroom and online opportunities, “on-the-job training” has been an excellent teacher.
- University of South Carolina, MSW
- Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, MA
- University of South Carolina, BA
- Center for Journal Therapy, CJT (Certified Journal Therapist)
- Haden Institute Certification for Dream Group Leadership
- C.G. Jung Institute, Summer Intensive in Switzerland
- Plus numerous workshops as well as many continuing education hours in social work and psychology
For over seven years, I led weekly group therapy in a maximum security prison for women. The group work was based on the group member’s personal dreams that were shared and aided by journal writing and other therapeutic techniques. A research article by Dana DeHart, PhD, published in the January 2010 Journal of Offender Rehabilitation describes my groups: Cognitive Restructuring Through Dreams and Imagery: Descriptive Analysis of a Women’s Prison-Based Program.
“Dreams can be an invaluable aid in effective therapy. They represent an incisive restating of the patient’s deeper problems.” – Irvin D. Yalom, MD
Prior to 2000, I was responsible for organizing and successfully managing a variety of projects including:
- Helping jump-start the SC State Museum’s first fundraising campaign as Executive Director of the State Museum Campaign and Friends organization
- Raising awareness for and successfully lobbying passage of South Carolina’s first safety-belt-use law as Executive Director of Safety Belts for South Carolina
- Working 14 years as primary lobbyist for a number of statewide associations, both professional and business groups, before the SC Legislature
- Creating and marketing The SC Media Guide and The SC Legislative Handbook (now under new ownership)
- Providing guidance and assistance as Youth Counselor for the SC Employment Commission